Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

15 Minutes


Image from here.
Need a new motto? Just wait 15 minutes.

Everyday, we are confronted with stress. How should we handle it? Well, maybe we should just wait 15 minutes. Before making a rash decision or a snap judgment, some people apparently wait 15 minutes to determine how they feel or how to react.

It might possibly be genius.

Consider the scenarios. When craving sugar, simply wait 15 minutes for the urge to subside. When angry, simply wait 15 minutes and cool down. When the alarm jolts you awake, simply sleep for 15 more minutes. When someone in your family is banging on the bathroom door, continue showering for 15 minutes. When the phone rings, wait 15 minutes. Yes, the more I think about this, the more I like it.

Seriously though, I have wanted to experiment with this notion and determine if it does indeed work but there’s one problem: I forget. 

Every time I plan to test this theory, I forget. When my teens were screeching and arguing with each other recently, I decided to wait 15 minutes and let them sort it out themselves. So I waited. One minute…two minutes…three hours later I suddenly remembered the experiment. I had forgotten yet again. Doh!

Duh! It was then I realized that is precisely the point. If you don't have a clue what I mean, don't worry, just wait 15 minutes.

19 comments:

Claire Beynon said...

Inspired! Thank you, dbs.

nessreen said...

HAH! You might just be right! I shall experiment this! XD

Alistair said...

The house is on fire. Should I call the fire brigade?

I know - I'll wait 15 minutes to decide.

My wife asks "Does my bum look big in this?"

I'll answer in 15 minutes. {14.5 minutes after I'm dead - if she's in a good mood - sooner if not }

lol.

Rubye Jack said...

This works! When I don't forget.

Al Penwasser said...

15 minutes or less and you'll save a ton on your car insurance.
Maybe Geico is on to something, after all.

Sultan said...

I think in theory this could be a good idea, if your filter for separating imminent threats from slower moving situations, is sound.

Alittlesprite said...

I don't have time for 15 minutes...

Formerly known as Frau said...

I'm a knee jerk reactor so I like this idea...I hope I remember next time the opportunity arises.

Fran Hill said...

This sounds like a great idea. We could all do with slowing down a bit and this would make it happen. But maybe as Alistair suggests, not in the case of fire ...

DB Stewart said...

@Claire That might be hyperbole but I thank you.
@diana Try it.
@Alistair Your application skills are impressive.
@Towanda Inception complete.
@AP Er, I think they want your money more than your time.
@LoC True.
@sprite Ha!
@FormerlyFrau That's the catch. Good luck.
@Fran Fire Schmire. (Just kidding.)

karensomethingorother said...

that seems wise. I'll wait 15 more minutes before doing the dishes :)

Nubian said...

I think I may adopt this. If family is hungry, wait 15 minutes, they'll figure out dinner. I will let them know you suggested the 15 minute theory.

Ryan said...

Good theory but flawed, I get stressed at least every 9 minutes especially at work. What the hell should I do?

SherilinR said...

i'm going to nap for 15 minutes. though, it's likely to go longer than that. does that defeat the point?

Mrs. Tuna said...

In this age of instant connection sometimes that 15 minutes is hard. I was explaining to Sheldon that when I was her age, if I had a crappy day at work I'd have the ride home alone in my car to cry and then ponder a solution. Nowadays, people to post to facebook how much they hate their boss.

Teachinfourth said...

If only I had an extra fifteen minutes...

michael.offworld said...

You could invent an app for this. One button.

We can train ourselves to remember.

Karen M. Peterson said...

It does work. Except when it doesn't.

Nicole Leigh Shaw said...

If you find you can't wait 15 minutes, do your waiting with a frosty beer in hand. It helps.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...