Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Press the bell.

The motivational speakers say that I am in control of my destiny. If I want to change my life, I possess the power to do that. If I want to achieve my dreams, I should write them down and then make them happen.

This is true. Mostly.

It's like pressing a doorbell. It's like knocking on a door. What exists beyond is attainable yet my initiation is required.

I am familiar with the doorbell. I know the door. Several doors. I've been invited in. I've pushed my way through. Scared, I've run my hands through my hair and waited until the courage rose from somewhere like a dandelion flower pushing it's way out of a crack in the pavement. I have also hesitated too long. I've even slinked away, ashamed. Despite my pitiful failures, I've had such success.

But that is my story.

What of the dreams I have for others? For someone who needs a dream. For someone whose potential is the umbrella needed for her rain. For someone who can't find the door. For someone blind and stubborn? For someone wandering. For someone lost?

To lead someone else to the door, to compel them to press the bell, to convince them...it's exhausting. And futile. Or is it futile? How many times does a person try? There should be a number for that. Like 99 times. But there's no number. So when does a person stop trying? And how?


13 comments:

Al Penwasser said...

One door shuts, another one opens.
A horrible cliche, but so true.

Vinny C said...

If you really want what's best for someone, you have to keep leading them to that door. But they have to be the ones who have the courage to ring the bell, otherwise they'll always wonder if it was their choice. You're right. It is exhausting.

Sultan said...

I think you have to convince them that it is their idea to go to the door.

Rubye Jack said...

I think it is possible to lead someone else to the door and get them to push the bell. I've had teachers and writers do it for me anyway. It just depends on the door you're leading them to since not all doors are meant for everyone.

Windsmoke. said...

What exists beyond the door bell could be your worse nightmare :-).

ToBlog today said...

The best you can do is plant the seed, sometimes, when, and if they are ready they will open that door. If you push too hard or too consistently, even if it is for their own good they will resist.

They that fails, I agree with Laoch, they have to think it is their idea first.

I like opening doors, especially when it is uncomfortable. They rewards are too great to pass up.

michael.offworld said...

Tricky. I'm of the belief that we all have to do our own knock-a-door ginger in this life. But we have to know that there are doors to look for in the first place. I'm grateful for the teachers I've found or have found me.

I like this door idea. It's got legs. (I'm at a really scary door now. I'm way to chicken to enter.)

Contrary Guy said...

You make me think.

Ryan said...

Got to agree with core contrarian here, my dumbed down brain is clunking to a start.

Anonymous said...

It is nice that you think of others and want to help them open doors. I'm not surprised. I also am trying to open doors for a particular someone and am always interested in helping. But you know, your blog made me think back to the times (and there were a few), when people tried to open doors for me. My biggest error was in not recognizing that a sizeable door was being cracked, and just for me. Sometimes it was youth, sometimes it was the business of life, and other times it was just thickheadedness. I'd like to think I've come a long way since then. But, DBS, I think it is a rare person that can recognize when a humble person is trying to help them, particularly if the person being helped is also kind of humble. They don't take a hint. There is miscommunication. One time, I remember, someone pushed. They spelled it out for me. I got it. Are you being too humble? On the other hand sometimes it is just the folly of youth:-)

DB Stewart said...

I appreciate the feedback everyone.
@The C's C: Maybe. Thanks.

Homemaker Man said...

You sound like an educator today.

wendy said...

I don't think you should ever give up. Sometimes we try ...for ourselves...and sometimes in trying to help others....99 times....but it was that 100 that did the trick.

but yeah, it can get exhausting.
most things worthwhile are eh

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...