Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Second? Best.

from Creative Commons

I'm sure you’ve heard this before: “the second mouse gets the cheese.”

Think about that. Sure. That first mouse thought he was onto something big. And he was. Because, well, SNAP.

I’ve heard it said that second place is just the first loser but to me, that sounds like something a loser might say. (Sorry.) Maybe second place is actually something special. Some examples:

1. Having seconds = yum.
2. Second nature implies real savvy.
3. Second honeymoon? Yes please.
4. Second class? Who in their right mind would want to be part of the royal family anyway?
5. Second-guessing? The unexpected can be quite entertaining.
6. Having second thoughts? It could help prevent poor decisions.
7. Playing second-fiddle? Less stress.
8. Every second counts? Most days, yup.
9. Second chances? Where would any of us be without them?
10. Getting one’s second wind means we all have within us, a least a little bit more.

There’s another famous saying: “we all have two hands: the first is to help ourselves, the second is to help others.” Think about that too. I am.

7 comments:

CLR said...

I second this! :)

Vinny C said...

I couldn't agree more. Everyone's always making a fuss about the guy who's the first to blaze a new trail. That's all well & good, but it's the guys who follow up who can avoid the mistakes the front runners made. And what do pioneers often end up with? Dysentery, or something. I

Al Penwasser said...

Another saying I like: "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut."
I think your saying is much more uplifting, though.

Adam said...

nothing wrong with 2nd place. Except in a 2 man contest

Sultan said...

I think you can argue that keeping score itself is often counterproductive.

Nice post.

neal call said...

Good thoughts. Also, you always want to take the second star to the left and straight on till morning.

neal call said...

damn. I think it was the second to the right. Now I'm embarrassed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...